Project M has absolutely exploded in the Super Smash Bros. tournament scene, and the meta game has certainly evolved since the release of the 3.0 last December. While the game has been praised for being relatively balanced compared to all other Smash titles, there have been some clear favorites among the cast in competitive play that have been defining the game and results.
The CLASH Tournaments team has come together to prepare a Preliminary Tier List for Project M, based on the current version 3.02. CT members were open to vote on the skill of the entire roster relative to each other, and averaged together to create this tier list. Tier separations were placed where there were larger gaps. Read on for the list.
The score value next to each character indicates what the average score was that they received from the team. Each character was voted 1-10 using whole numbers, where the larger the value the better.
While this list is not 100% concrete and is preliminary, we hope it gives everyone a good starting point to think about where characters lie, and assists in shaping the future of this title with the PMBR. If you feel a character you use may not be as high as they should, by all means get out to tournaments and represent that character!! Please remember that even though this is separated all the way from Low Tier to Top Tier, note how This only ranges from 4.67 to 9.22, and over half of the characters received a score above 7. The game is still relatively balanced and counterpicking can be a large factor with even lower tiered characters having a place in the meta against high tiers.
I would like to thank the following CT members who assisted in this project: Mew2King, ZeRo, Chibo, Vex, Xzax, NAKAT, Seibrik, Wizzrobe, and Salem. We will continue to release updated Project M tier lists as we feel the meta game changes, and as new versions of Project M are released.
Agree or disagree with part of this tier list? Leave a comment below and tell us what you would change! Tweet @CLASHTournament and #PMTierList on Twitter with your thoughts as well. Share this with your friends so we can get their input as well.
- The most controversial placements were Zero Suit Samus and Olimar, who both received votes from members that differed by 7 points!
- The most non-controversial placements were Falco, Mewtwo, Captain Falcon, and Ness, all of whom received one score or another, one digit apart.
- Melee Top Tiers Fox and Falco regained their spots as Top Tier characters in Project M, after they were redesigned to more closely resemble their Melee counterparts.
- Olimar and Toon Link were both High Tier characters in Brawl largely centered around a camping game, and now became Low Tier characters with the change in the engine and their abilities.
- Link and Zelda are notorious for being some of the worst characters across all regular Smash titles, yet now they are both sitting in the High Tier for Project M.
Text version of the Tier List:
Top Tier: Fox, Falco
High Tier: Zelda, Pit, Meta Knight, Wolf, Link, Ivysaur, Marth, Mario
Upper-Mid Tier: Lucas, Snake, Ike, Mewtwo, Sonic
Mid Tier: King Dedede, Wario, Captain Falcon, Lucario, Donkey Kong, Jigglypuff, Charizard, Roy, ROB, Pikachu, Samus, Bowser, Diddy Kong, Sheik, Squirtle, Ness, Kirby
Lower-Mid Tier: Yoshi, Luigi, Ice Climbers, Ganondorf, Zero Suit Samus, Mr. Game and Watch, Peach
Low Tier: Olimar, Toon Link